Sunday, June 6, 2010

the spirit is willing, but the ligaments are weak

walking down the dark streets of Baguio, heavy pack on my back, hurrying to catch the night bus to Manila... no doubt you can see where this is going... i made the sudden acquaintance of a rather large pothole, quickly followed by that old familiar feeling of my ankle giving out, and then an up-close encounter with the surface of the road.  Strangers came to help me up, and I lied and said I'm fine, just surprised, and limped down the road to my bus.

I talked myself down from my fury as I went.  After all, it's not a BAD sprain as sprains go - I mean, I've had bad sprains, and this wasn't the blinding pain of one of those.  Maybe that physical therapy was good for something... that's what I told myself, anyway.  And besides, I told myself, it's a good thing that this happened now instead of two days ago - certainly couldn't have hiked to Batad on a bum ankle.  And maybe this will serve as a good reminder that I need to do my ankle exercises!

See how hard I was trying to stay positive?

Anyway, I have the morning off, so I'm sitting around icing the cursed thing... but i have two interviews this afternoon, and more every day this week, and three trips to walk around squatter communities, and I'm not sure what I'll do but I think it will involve a lot of taxis.  Which will be expensive. But what can I do, eh?

I guess I'll go hobble to the mall for ace bandages now...

1 comment:

  1. unfamiliar location,
    dark street,
    heavy pack,
    hurrying,

    I am glad that your fall was not worse. Imagine how nice everyone will be to you if you are hobbling around on crutches.

    ReplyDelete