Wednesday, June 16, 2010

civet coffee, aka kopi luwak, aka cat shit

what?  that's what it is!

I am, even as I type, savoring a small pot of civet coffee.

the delicacy - passed through the digestive track of civets (which aren't exactly cats... but they're kinda like tree-cats, close enough) before being cleaned, ground, brewed and consumed by yours truly - can cost as much as $50 a cup if you're getting horrifically ripped off in fancy restaurants.  Here in the Philippines, a civet-coffee-exporting country, my little pot cost about five bucks, so how could I resist?

Tasting notes:  Nutty.  Delicate.  Very mild.  It's true what they say - it's really not bitter, although it does still taste acidic to me.

All in all?  Definitely not worth $500/pound.   Maybe worth $5/cup, if you like a light coffee.  But I still prefer coffee that kicks me in the face.

No comments:

Post a Comment