Saturday, June 12, 2010

and friday's child has three very different appointments

Yesterday was an interesting day... started out in Towerville, a relocation community way up north that - while relatively developed, thanks in part to the efforts of Gawad Kalinga and Couples for Christ - has a serious lack of job opportunities in the area.  Many occupants still work their old jobs, an hour and a half away, and come to towerville on weekends to see their families.

Then traveled to Congress to interview (the sadly outgoing) Congresswoman Risa Hontiveros, who by rights should become the 12th partylist senator but no word yet on whether that's actually happening.  I have never before in my life wanted to enter politics, but this woman is pretty much my new hero.  So smart, strong, beautiful - and very, very quotable. you should have been there to see her, clutching her abdomen as she talked about the power of the womb, gesturing at her body as she said, "this is MY kingdom."  a-freaking-mazing.

and then to Cubao, where i hung out in cafes getting inspired for my previous post by being frustrated with my wireless (see #2), eating alone (see #4), and getting lost (see #1).  And then to a hip artist-run space tucked away amidst the malls - another nice thing about interviewing people, especially cool activist youths, they know all the sweet places to hang out - where I interviewed two activists and two of their friends over san migs (for them) and vodka and tonics (for me).  I'm afraid my questions and their answers got a little less intelligible by the end... but it was a very interesting interview, especially on the topic of LGBT issues (all four were gay) and abortion (each of them knew people who had either had or sought abortions... and two of them, the non-activist two, were strongly opposed.)  and then we hung out and talked into the morning.  did you have any idea of the level of discrimination cruise ship employees face when they're at sea and there's no regulatory oversight??

so three different faces of activism in Manila... on the streets, with the groups that build houses as well as those that pass out condoms - in the House, with one of the major supporters of the RH bill - and among the middle-class youth, with activists working to change perceptions and opinions of their peers.  lots to think about.

3 comments:

  1. Regarding your troubles with the netbook, you should walk into a legitimate electronics store and buy a computer that will work for you. Let go of the dreams you had for the netbook and look at reality-- you need to a system with quick easy wireless and can purchase such a thing. Take the frustration and make it a dollar decision. Also you can sell the netbook to me when you return. Finally, avoid drinking and working- although both can pleasurable, their pleasures operate in opposite directions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. arrgh maybe I should just give in and buy another one, but it does work most of the time - and since it's not my money I'm spending and I promised on my honor to be a good, frugal steward of my grant money, I'm not really comfortable paying for TWO computers, ya know?

    and I sure can't pay for it out of my own pocket, I can't even afford to cover the plane ticket to london I just bought.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1. Check the price for buying what would work for you all the time. Then subtract from that what you would recover by selling me the netbook (I am assuming it worked here and that the problem is related to being in a different country). All you would need to do is bring the netbook home safely--

    2. Regarding your London ticket, your gmail account should have a confirmation of what you asked to be done.

    ReplyDelete