Sunday, June 13, 2010

housekeeping

changed the layout - let me know if you have any problems viewing anything!

also, can somebody please talk me out of buying Against the Day as some "light reading" for the rest of my trip?  I finished the three books I brought with me, and first of all, I really shouldn't be buying any others - I ought to be journaling, sleeping or at the least reading something philippines-related in the event that I have any downtime.

but... well.  so i won't be able to keep from buying books altogether.  but at the least I should get something NOT fifty billion pages long and impossibly difficult.  a nice little terry pratchett.  or the sequel to girl with a dragon tattoo.  or even a little martin amis if I insist - house of meetings is on sale, pretty sure i remember it getting good reviews.  and instead i'm opening up a freaking Pynchon.  i mean, it took weeks - WEEKS - for me to get through gravity's rainbow and i spent much of that time completely bewildered.  which was fun and all, but it ain't summer reading!

but i'm helpless. it's a thousand pages long!  and has over a hundred characters!  and i wants it!

2 comments:

  1. I'd just like to say that I just bought The Phantom Tollbooth, a book I already own. If you're not familiar, it's a children's classic, complete with big print and even bigger illustrations.
    So at least you didn't do that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. dude i love the phantom tollbooth! and it's legit 'cuz it's all metaphorical... as subtly metaphorical as the faerie queen, what with everything being named after what it represents, but still!

    ReplyDelete