Wednesday, September 29, 2010

prescription for a difficult day

Start with a good cry.

Breathe deeply.  Wash your face.  Follow with a hot cup of tea and some chocolate.

Fill your day with work, and even if yours is the fairly minor task of discussing plays, do it well.

When you've come home, and the sun is sinking, and the chill is setting in, cover your hands in flour and start kneading bread.  I can think of few better ways to confront the dark than standing in a warm and cozy kitchen, a favorite song in the background and dough beneath your fingers.   And don't forget to breathe.


I'll be traveling a little more for the rest of this week - I am flying home for my grandfather's funeral on Friday.  I have already mentioned my Lolo a few times on this blog, but if you'd like to learn a little more about his extraordinary life, his obituary is online.  A few short paragraphs for such a long life!

And now I'm thinking of the way he would greet my sister and me -- "Ah, how great it is to see you," he would say joyfully, "your faces shining with the glory of the universe!"

That's all I've got for you today.

No comments:

Post a Comment