Monday, June 13, 2011

stop 1: Atlanta

I made it safe and sound (if a little delayed) to Atlanta, Georgia, where giant peaches perch atop buildings and everybody calls me "Sugar."

I'm currently hiding from the sun and hopping on a wifi signal at a Caribou Coffee in downtown Atlanta, and soon I will be taking my rental car down into the depths of rural Georgia.  A certain somebody who will not be named described this region to me as "hot, humid and mean."  Whoohoo!

Seriously, though, I am excited, so I won't spend too long typing up a blog post and I'll try to hit ye old dusty trail pretty soon.  Just a few things to note:

1. One of the conductors on my train had an accent EXACTLY like Kenneth's on 30 Rock.  I always though Kenneth's accent was completely made up, but turns out there is in fact a strain of Southern accent just like that.  File that under things-i-never-knew.

2.  I'd forgotten how surreal the Southern landscape could be.  There were times when the view out the train window looked like it was ripped out of a fantasy novel or a scifi film.  Don't know what I'm talking about? One word: KUDZU.  I didn't snap a picture but I'll see if I can sooner or later - imagine forests so coated in vines that you can't even see the trees underneath.  It's both beautiful and deeply creepy (and an ecological disaster, of course).

3. A caribou coffee employee just came by and offered me free samples of a pineapple coconut smoothie.  And then made me take two, because nobody else was drinking them.  Life is great.

4.  Does travel = freedom? Companies certainly promote the idea - my Hertz folder actually has FREEDOM written across it in giant yellow letters. Do people believe it does?  Is this an American concept?  Travel doesn't have to be linked to freedom - it could be tied to escape, to adventure; it could be seen as a mark of economic prosperity; it could be seen as a duty, or as self-improvement.  My rental car packet screaming "FREEDOM" probably has me biased, but right now I'm feeling like in America, we travel to prove our freedom - we go somewhere to prove that we could go anywhere.  Agree? Disagree? Should I stop with the national identity essentialism?

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Kudzu. It's all over the damn place just about anywhere south of North Carolina. I was warned while in SC once never to jump into a bed of kudzu because you never know how deep it goes. Like those reflective pools in caverns.

    I have an aunt and uncle who live right outside of Atlanta (in the suburbs, basically). If you happen to run into a plump, 60-something grayhaired, balding man with glasses and a beard who fences, rides a motorcycle, and goes by Bill Lanier, pester him for me. And then sit down and have a philosophical conversation with him. He likes that. :P

    ReplyDelete