Thursday, July 1, 2010

two thoughts on language

Thought number one:  I think I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again - I feel completely inadequate here.  I only speak one-and-a-half languages!  That's pathetic!  All the locals speak at least three, it seems like - their local dialect, Filipino (which is mostly Tagalog, but is the national language for people who speak different dialects), and English.  Many speak four or more - they'll speak the neighboring dialects as well.  And the other travelers I've met are mostly European, so they speak at least two - English and their national language - and, again, often more.


Thought number two: I'm growing more used to not having any idea what the people around me are saying.  I just enjoy listening to the sounds - my mother described the languages here as "musical," and they often are.  They're also a fascinating blend of different influences - Spanish, English, Malay, even, according to my guidebook, Mayan - via the Spanish, who were influenced through their conquest of Mexico.  Of course, I can't actually pick up on all these influences, but I can hear the incredible variety of sounds and inflections in an ordinary conversation.  I actually get too used to just listening to the sounds, and then when my companions switch to English I don't notice, and I'm left looking like an idiot while they all wait for me to answer really simple questions.  Oh well.

No comments:

Post a Comment