Friday, May 14, 2010

on heritage

Hapa: 1; Of mixed racial heritage with partial roots in Asian and/or Pacific Islander ancestry. 2; If an individual has one parent whom is Asian/Pacific Islander, and one parent whom is of an ethnicity outside of Asian/Pacific Islander, they would generally be considered Hapa. 3; Damn good looking people

- Urbandictionary.com

Seriously, though, all joking aside... I am 1/4 Filipino.  What does that mean?  Can I, should I identify as hapa or mixed-race?  Does it matter that I look white?  That I do not feel connected to Filipino culture?  If I do identify as hapa, am I claiming a heritage and a tradition I don't have a right to?  If I don't identify as part-Filipino, am I 'passing' as white?

And as I travel to the Philippines, is it more problematic to minimize my heritage - which might seem to dismiss it - or to highlight it - which might seem like an attempt to claim a culture I was not raised in?

No comments:

Post a Comment