Wednesday, May 26, 2010

lunchtime and language barriers

OK, so the first tagalog words I'm going to learn will most definitely be FOOD WORDS.  I was originally planning on starting with the courtesy phrases (my current repertoire is kumasta ka/po (how are you), mabuti (fine), and salamat po (thank you)  as you can see, it could do with some expansion).  But plans have changed.  Buying lunch yesterday, from the bevy of food stands in the mall, was a downright harrowing experience.

Pancit - I know what that is, though I had no idea it came in fifty thousand variations that look completely different.  And I can visually distinguish the grilled squid from the pork kebobs, the fried chicken from the whole fish.  And the white rice, that I can spot.  But those recognizable items are drowned out by a mass of balls and clumps and soups and stir-fries and wraps and slices and cubes and bowls and plates of... of what?  white and brown and green and red... what?

and I stand there - the only white woman in the entire mall, as far as I can tell, calling plenty of attention to myself as it is - staring cluelessly at the signs.  Kare-kare... I know what that is, I KNOW i know it, I just can't remember!  lumpia... that sounds familiar... whatever it is.  but pochero?  longganisa?  ginisang monggo? I for sure have never heard these words before in my life.  Pro tip: make flashcards for the airplane of the major dishes of your destination country... even if everybody there speaks English, too.

concluding that a fast food market full of people in a hurry was not the optimal time to ask strangers to explain an entire country's cuisine to me, I rolled all my strength into one ball (of unknown ingredients and dubious sweetness), and ordered... kare-kare, grilled squid, something green and squishy, white rice, and something on a skewer.

there goes six years of vegetarianism... departing with lots of tentacles and peanut sauce.

Seriously, though, I need to learn these names.  Call me unadventurous, but yes, I'd like to avoid tripe and chicken intestines (did i mention six years of vegetarianism?  any kind of meat is about as appetizing as... well... chicken intestines!)  and I would very much like to know what I am eating, at the least.  So, tagalog, here I come... from afritada to wansoy, one way or another, i'm going to learn what I'm eating.

P.S.  Sweet tea in the Philippines is EVEN SWEETER than it is in the South.  I didn't even know that was possible.
P.P.S.  Okay, I could have gotten pizza or spaghetti.  But that would have been SUCH a cop-out.
P.P.P.S.  Fruit.  Delicious, delicious fruit.  Maybe i'll write about the fruit later but if I can't learn my monggo from my morcon, at least I can eat mangos!!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, please write more about fruit! You've already discovered calamansi. Here's another one to try: lanzones, a juicy sweet-tart fruit.
    Longganisa=sausage
    When I was there, I developed a taste for dinuguan. You will no doubt want to avoid it.
    Instead, look for bicol express, a yummy (and very spicy!) mixture of baguio beans, coconut milk, and chili peppers. It usually has pork, but may be available sans meat. I'm trying to think of veggie dishes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That all sounds so delicious! I know what you mean about the pizza and spaghetti -- I google street viewed where I'll be staying in Paris and discovered a McDonald's around the corner. Must refrain!
    Glad you got there safe -- are you traveling with the body guard yet?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Longganisa is the best. Seriously. Also, for fast food, definitely go to Jollibee. And for the dessert, get some of the purple ice cream (I forget the name, but it's tasty) or get some Halo halo. Yummy. So much good food. ...I'm jealous. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. ugh dinuguan sounds... well. and don't worry about thinking of veggie dishes, vegetarianism is really out the window. i am still going for fish over meat whenever i get the chance, which is pretty much always - so my diet right now is basically bangus bangus bangus...

    and jinging ;) i haven't stopped into a jollibee's yet but i laugh at the mascot every time i walk by!

    @emily i am thinking i might not get a bodyguard - or maybe just for a couple of days if i travel outside of davao. i definitely don't need one in manila, anyway. and my contacts in davao laughed at me when i asked about bodyguard services :D

    ReplyDelete