Friday, June 1, 2012

did I mention we don't have wireless?


I had really good timing getting a smartphone. William and I, like all the other residents of this intern housing complex, get no wifi in our rooms. And don’t even have ethernet cables or any other last-century alternatives. There’s internet in the common rooms, including the kitchen, but that means that you really have to decide to go get online. Like, “I will go browse the internet now. I will carry my internet-connection device to the proper area and when I am finished, I will return.” Such a foreign concept to me. 

So at least we can get to our email and answer pressing wikipedia questions without needing to put shoes on and relocate to a public place. Thank you, super-convenient little computers.

But there are drawbacks to our newly upgraded digital lives. For instance, I really want to get a newspaper subscription even though we’re flat broke and the non-student-discount price for the NYT made me gasp. (Not that it's not worth it! I've just been spoiled by my student discount status). But seriously, every morning we have breakfast hunched over our smartphones, scrolling through our RSS feeds. It’s comedy of the absurd to try to catch up on the world on those tiny little screens.

Anyway, I’m typing these blogposts on my internetless laptop and posting them when I make it to the common room. Apologies for the irregular intervals.

No comments:

Post a Comment