Wednesday, July 6, 2011

those were the days...

The stories I'm collecting are set in a time without cars, jet airplanes, odwalla bars or lazy quests for a wifi signal.  They feature horses and mules and trolley cars, hand-plucked chickens and penny candy, hand-written letters and congratulatory telegraphs.  All of this seems wonderfully romantic.  I have to stop and forcibly remind myself that this was not a misty-edged technicolor past of soft sighs and swelling piano music; it was all probably rather awful.

To make things harder, everyone keeps insisting that I'm wrong.  Things weren't terrible at all.  "I don't remember it being cold," says a relative who grew up in a land where winters were thirty below.  "We had to scrape together pennies to survive, but you know, we all worked together," says another, wistfully.  "It was a hard life, but it was a good life," says just about everybody - and that, in itself, sounds so romantic, with its promise of hard-earned exhaustion and quiet satisfaction, that once again I have to fight to quell a surge of absurd nostalgia.

Outhouses, I tell myself.  Droughts.  Milking cows at 5 a.m.  Laundry taking all day.  What's so great about riding behind a team of mules?

(wistful sigh...)

No comments:

Post a Comment