Tuesday, February 15, 2011

animal encounters

Last night jenny and I were driving through the darkness and we glimpsed a tail - an enormous tail, bushy as a squirrel's, far bigger than a beaver's.  It looked like a brown skunk tail, if skunks came that big, and in brown, but I've never seen a skunk that moved that fast.  I'm not used to my neighborhood containing mysteries that scuttle away like that.

Today as I was biking home a vulture descended from the sky right before me, black wings filling my vision and startling me nearly off my bike.  I think its wingspan was as wide as I am tall.  I was never good at the bird IDs, but it wasn't a turkey vulture - the head was an unsettling white (cf: Moby Dick, chapter 42) instead of red.  It watched me as I rode past, like an omen centuries out of place.

The other week I asked William: Are we primates?  A silly thing to forget, I know.  Yes, he said, not laughing at me.  Definitely primates.  I touched my fingers to my thumb and listened to him talk.

No comments:

Post a Comment